Thursday, July 03, 2008

Canada Trip

I've been back since the end of the first week of June, but haven't had a chance to post yet. However, seeing as how Canada recently celebrated Canada Day, and the US is celebrating the Fourth of July, I thought it appropriate to mention my little trip to our neighboring country. I went to Mississauga for a biology teaching conference and had a great time. It's not far from Toronto, so I got to see a bit of downtown Toronto too. In fact, I joined the group heading into Toronto for a taste (literally and figuratively) of downtown Toronto with a really great tour guide, Bruce Bell. I also went there with friends during the week, and they tried to get me to the yarn store before it closed, but that didn't happen. Oh well, I wasn't there for yarn.

Back to the tour of Toronto. If you are ever up there wanting a tour, I recommend Bruce Bell. He was wonderful. We started in St. Lawrence Market, where we got to taste some of the samplings from the vendors. Then he took us around the city and showed us many of the historical landmarks. It was great. He talked about the history of the city and the buildings, and I learned a lot about Canada during the tour. It was only 2 hours, but it really was worth it.

We got a little bonus on our tour as Woofstock was occurring at the same time as our visit, so we got to see lots of doggies and a few competitions. It was pretty cool.

After lunching near the market, we headed over to the Royal Ontario Museum, where we got a behind the scenes look at the dinosaur exhibits and the work that takes place to get those bones out of the rock and earth that they are taken from. That was pretty cool. Unfortunately, I developed a massive headache and just wanted some water to take an advil. I felt bad about that as the bones really were impressive and the graduate student was giving us a great look at an area I wouldn't normally ever see.

After the tour behind the scenes, and getting water for the headache, we headed back out to see what all of us were excited to see -- Darwin: The Evolution Revolution. That's right, the Darwin exhibit was there, with real herbarium specimens Darwin made and lots of information, including some interesting personal information about Darwin and his family life. No pictures were allowed and I wasn't impressed with the souvenirs -- no pictures of the displays or anything like that, but lots of great books.

After touring the museum for a while, we wrapped up our visit by heading over to Chinatown for dinner. Don't ask me which one as apparently there are four within the city itself.

No yarn, but it was a wonderful trip. However, I have to admit, downtown Toronto reminded me a lot of downtown Los Angeles, especially Chinatown. The number of homeless also reminded me of that area.

Alright, I'm off to visit Robin tomorrow and hope to take a picture of her with one of two rugs off the loom, and maybe her at the loom. We'll see.

Happy fibering!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home