Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Vacation Anyone?

I'm back from a vacation in sunny, not humid, California. I went to visit family and help my mom out with her sewing room. She promised me she'd take pictures, but the room is huge. Absolutely huge!

Now, my mother owns several sewing machines, including 4 Pfaff sewing machines (2 embroidery machines, including the new Creative Vision, 1 quilting machine, and 1 serger), 1 Brother embroidery machine (with Disney characters, which is probably why it's still in the room), and 1 class sewing machine/granddaughter sewing machine that is small and light. What she actually has in the room and set up are the 2 embroidery Pfaff machines (2170 and Creative Vision), the Brother, and the serger. The Creative Vision sits on a desk that is about 59 inches or so wide as it is huge when completely set up. Unfortunately, we were busy busy busy and I didn't get a chance to try it, but next time I will. We played with desk positions and where best to put her three desks with all the machines on them. We figured on a sort of U-shape that looks like it will work well for her. In this room is also a huge Koala brand cutting table, fully extended. She has enough room beside this cutting table to walk near her design wall. Oh, the room is wonderfully huge and now nicely set up.

While out there, I also participated in the 10th Annual Southern California Quilt Run and got to see lots of quilt shops and buy lots of fabric. I went to over 20 something quilt stores and saw lots of different quilts. We did all of the San Diego run, which was lovely. They have some really awesome quilt stores over there. I especially liked Quilter's Cottage in Fallbrook, Quilter's Coop in Temeculah, where I purchased tons of contemporary fabric for a picnic blanket, and Cozy Quilt Shop in El Cajon, which gave away tons of freebies and had a great collection of fabric.

And of course, after all this traveling around to quilt stores, we still went to another major quilt event. And yes, the timing of my trip was set to coincide with these events. We went to the new annual International Quilt Show in Long Beach. The line to get in was over an hour long on Friday, which is the day we went, of course. I have no idea what it was like on Saturday. And no, we didn't have to wait an hour, we had exact change and a new line opened up while we were in line. So, we got in very fast. Oh boy, that was fun. There are other reviews out there of this event.

Needless to say, I didn't buy much at this show, since I went to all those quilt shows, but I did buy some pretty neat things and saw some neat things. I bought a Carol's Zoo kit, to make a giraffe family. So cute! They were so soft, in a different fur than on the pattern. I'm such a sucker for toys.

Happy fibering, whatever you are doing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home